Motivational Monday Tip of the Day – Best Ways to Motivate, but a Fine Line to Walk
Inspirational words to motivate kids are useful, but motivational words are temporary. The key to motivation lies in the adult actions that kids draw inspiration from:
- Attention – showing legitimate interest in the activities that kids are involved with provides inspiration. Attending games, asking questions, listening, practicing with, showing enthusiasm and providing financial support are all means of showing kids that you are interested in the things that they are.
- Approval – positive words, well-timed smiles, recognizing little improvements, all help kids feel like a success.
- Attitude – Parents, who are positive with their attitude, develop positive thinking , enthusiastic kids. Those who do not, don’t.
Of course, many parents go overboard with those three, creating problems of their own.
- 1. Too much attention to the point where it seems like the sport is all about the parent is trouble.
- 2. Too much approval gets into the false praise area, which is not good either.
- 3. Negative and arrogant attitudes are never good.