Saturday Secrets to Great Baseball Coaching – Safety First
First Coaching Responsibility
Fact – being hit by a ball or bat hurts.
Fact – running into another player usually results in injury to one or both players.
Fact – baseball coaches are responsible for the safety of the players.
Fact – more injuries come from bad slides than any other aspect of the game
Accidents will happen but coaches, who follow these points, can limit those harmful incidents.
* Make sure players line up in the same direction when playing catch and away from all bystanders, who could get hit by overthrows.
* Institute a rule that says no bat is swung without a helmet on – may be a little extreme but it guards against major injuries to head from kids accidentally swinging in the wrong spot or at the wrong time
* Similarly, players should be required to wear protective cups at all practices and games..
* Players must be coaches on defensive communication drills for balls hit between player positions, especially fly and popped up balls.
*Base runners must be taught to avoid collisions, even when they may have the right of way.
* Coaching players correct sliding techniques is an essential baseball coaching responsibility.
* Coaching defensive players where to position themselves on thrown and batted balls keeps players safe.